How Does Low Level Laser Therapy work?
The effects of 3LT™ are cold not thermal, thus photo-chemical processes are effected. Hot lasers in the medical world are used for surgical precision while cold lasers are used for healing precision. During treatment of the tissue with the laser beam, an interaction between cells and photons takes place, thus a photo-chemical reaction. Photons from the laser affect the tissue at the cellular level. The cold laser enters the tissue, alters cell membrane permeability, and at the cellular level is absorbed in the mitochondria of the cell creating physiological changes such as:
- Rapid cell growth: The laser accelerates cellular reproduction and growth.
- Faster wound healing: The laser stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissue. The reduction in recovery time is an important consideration.
- Increased metabolic activity: Helps the body increase output of specific enzymes, greater oxygen to blood cells and more effective immune response are induced by laser.
- Reduced fibrous tissue formation: The laser reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns, or following surgery.
- Anti-inflammatory action: The laser reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to give improved joint mobility.
- Increased vascular activity: The laser stimulates lymph and blood circulation, to allow the affected tissue to have the best possible circulation.
- Stimulated nerve function: Slow recovery of nerve function in damaged tissue can result in "dead" limbs or numb areas. Laser will speed the process of nerve cell re-connection to bring the numb areas back to life. Laser also increases the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle action.
These physiological changes affect macrophages, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, mast cells, bradykinin, nerve conduction rates and the energy communication pathways throughout the fascial network (liquid crystalline living matrix). The energy transferred to the cell can increase its kinetic energy, and activate or deactivate enzymes or alter physical or chemical properties of main macro-molecules. The mitochondria are the "Powerhouse" of the cells and make ATP which is needed for the life enhancement process of every cell.